Share Content








Share

Sunday, August 24, 2014

'OITNB' Star Laverne Cox Responds To Backlash For Supporting Trangender Inmate Sylivia Rivera


Laverne Cox Responds To Backlash

Orange Is The New Black Laverne Cox is responding the tremendous amount of backlash she has been getting for supporting transgender inmate Sylvia Rivera. Laverne Cox read a letter from Sylvia in a video which was released from The Sylvia Rivera Law project in support of safe housing for transgender people in NY prisons.

In a video, released by The Sylvia Rivera Law Project , Cox reads aloud a personal letter from transgender Latina inmate Synthia China Blast – incarcerated in the state of New York for 21 years now.

But Laverne Cox received backlash  when folks found out that Sylvia Rivera was convicted and charged for raping and murdering a child name Ebony Nicole Williams. Sylvia Rivera was born Luis Moralas.


Laverne Cox is now responding on Tumblr that she was not aware of her charges.


"When I agreed to participate in a recent Sylvia Rivera Law Project campaign, which involved me reading a letter from a member of their Prisoner Advisory Committee, I was not aware of the charges for which she was convicted. If I had been aware of those charges, I would have never agreed to read the letter.
To everyone who has been a supporter of me and my work, as well as for those who have found inspiration in my story, it is important for me to let you know that I have never, nor would I ever, support abuse or violence against anyone, especially a child like Ebony Nicole Williams. This is something I unequivocally do not support.
My intention was to highlight the horrific conditions many trans people experience during incarceration — to shed a light where often there is only darkness."


No comments: